Thursday, December 18, 2014

D-Link DSL-2750U Wireless N 300 ADSL2 4-Port Wi-Fi Router



First impressions:

This is one hell of a modem cum router. I had no problem in setting it up - just follow the instructions.
In 10 minutes every thing set up with phones, tabs synced up.
The only thing that gave a problem was the laptop. It just refused to configure and recognize the wi fi router, though it was showing all other available networks. Prolly because it is a five year old model with technical limitations. No problem with the modem/router end.
The reach is approximately 30 feet to the terrace, through two floors. I consider that pretty awesome! Inside the house it works everywhere, even through two walls.
Did not test the USB port configuration as I only use the LAN port.
Set this up on a BSNL broadband connection and it works just fine!

One year later!

Sorry folks have to change my review of this gadget. The modem works but not the wi fi.

I purchased this from flipkart a year ago, last october to be exact. I travel a lot and did not have much time to experiment with this. But once I started I saw many issues. Tested it for one year to see if I can solve my problems before posting this review. The actual purpose of investing in this gadget was to untie me from my workstation but sadly this wi-fi part seriously disappoints. The device just refused to comply.

This is one disappointing product from D-Link. The wi-fi is selective – I did not know this was possible as all my devices have the same protocol - and does not show up on my laptops. It connects easily to my phones but never the laptops. I visited various forums, discussed with hardware and software guys, installed, uninstalled software, removed all other plug n play USB modem drivers… everything the techs suggested… no solution to the problem in sight. Just in case my devices were the issue, I borrowed a friend’s laptop and tried configuring – no avail. The modem just refuses to show up on any laptop. I finally had to compromise and as temporary solution, get myself a long - I mean really long network cable.

I then experimented with Tp-Link and Netgear models and they worked perfectly well. I was forced to invest in another TP-Link modem, just so that I could get things functional.

Sincerely suggest that we avoid this product from D-link. It will not serve the purpose of wi-fi in the house, for computer devices. It can only help if you are using mobile devices. Perhaps there are other models of D-Link that will fulfil the wifi needs of computing devices.

No comments:

Post a Comment